Thursday 2 May 2013

Stafford Bike Show Part 3




 Part 3

Packed and ready to go by 09:30, filled with fuel and empty trailer in tow we head back to the show ground. First stop is an antiques shop on the way. Gita buys a stool and I fit that in behind the front seats. It is early enough to be in the traders parking area and much closer to the entrance than yesterday. It is cool but warmer than yesterday and dry so we do the rounds of some stalls. Gita is on the spy for clothes and an open face helmet and I for tools and to see if I can get a link to the Dynavolt battery supplier. Our first call is a stand that is selling helmets almost half price. There are two that fit but we still go in search for a deal on a florescent pink one. I see a trader that is selling Dynavolt batteries and he obligingly gives me the name of another dealer who has links with the supplier. I go away feeling I have achieved something. I buy some self adhesive reflectors for the car as one has lost its colour and at another stall a couple of heavier straps to replace the broken one. We go up to the LE club stand and leave our purchases there. I have done all the club stands so now I am just handing out fliers to people passing by and talking about my LE and other LE’s and Valiant’s and Viceroy’s. Gita goes on a shop and is back at the stand for lunch around 12:30. I have almost talked my voice into submission and lunch is a welcome break. 



This time we eat at the “Kitchen” it is less luxurious than the cafeteria but for me the all day breakfast was very enjoyable. The tea was the best we had at the show. We decide that Gita should get one of those helmets that fit her so I go back to the stand, get my bike jacket and go for another walk around the stands. Gita manages to buy the one she likes best and only just in time. There is another lady looking to buy one too. Carrying on around the stalls we are passing the “Wall of Death” arena and with the £5 that Gita has got off the helmet we invest in 15 minutes of daring. It is very entertaining with the finale of 3 riders doing chase me around the wall, riding so close to the top that the bikes are only inches from you. 




At the end they now tell you they are not insured for themselves and require us to toss coins into the arena to show our appreciation. It occurred to me that perhaps we were not insured either. Back to the LE stand and I talk more and hand out fliers. I have pinched a few back from the “Unwanted” club stand. I talk a long time to a guy about Valiant’s and he is going to join the club. Around 4pm Gita and I go for another tea at the “Kitchen”, I have 6 fliers left and hand them out to some keen Yorkshire men that like the pound off Monday. Back at the stand we start to dismantle the props in readiness to escape. 





I talk to Keith about a Viceroy engined Valiant special. It was an interesting conversation of how and what to do. It is close to 5pm and I say my farewells as there is little for me to do and thank everyone for helping me support the museum. The 2 bikes in front of mine on the stand have now gone so I can now move mine. We are loaded up and we join the queue to go down the exit ramp. On the dot of 5 we move. I have a helmet box on the tank and am not able to stop to start the bike so I freewheel down the ramp, find a suitable place to stop. The LE fires up third kick, Gita climbs aboard and we follow the procession to the exit gate and the car. I smile at the guy who has been there all weekend and seen us come and go. He smiles back. With the LE loaded on the trailer we follow Tom-toms’ directions to the M6 and come back non-toll. The journey is about 150 miles and done in about 3 hours. Not bad for a little car towing.

No comments:

Post a Comment