Tuesday 28 May 2013

Kempton Park Bike Show 2013





Southern Classic Bike Show 2013.

Friday afternoon I pick up George, in the car, on the way to the venue at Kempton Park. George was due to cycle over to me, but as it was pouring with rain I thought it would be best to fetch him. On the way I went into to Tesco to get a few cans of beer that were on offer and to support my local Post Office bought some whitetac there for photos and posters for our display. There were a few hiccups with where we were placed. Most of the stand had no board backing so we improvised on where we could put things. I managed to get some wire to hang the banner from and tried to put up posters on the board with sellotape, but it would not stick to the board. Each time I thought I had someone would open the main doors and the poster would float off the board and down to the ground. The tape just did not stick. Abandon that idea so George enthusiastically whitetaced all the A4 photos we had to the back wall which were shutters for an out of use bar. Below that we taped a big a1 size photo of an LE. It was near 4pm by then and we had done all we could to get the area prepared. The weather promised to be dry for show day so riding the bikes there and back should be fine. 



Saturday morning I am up early and head off on the Valiant to the show. I arrive safely with only a couple of idiots not realising that a little bike was going so fast. I join the queue to check in and see Pete another volunteer from the museum. I tell him where the Museum stand is and say I’ll be over later. Once I am in the hall I may my way to the Velocette LE Club stand. Before I get there I see George and at the stand Paul and Ron are there too. I had planned to get there early enough to greet people as they arrived. There was only Chris to arrive with his trailered LE. The final positioning of bikes could only take place after Chris had got his bike on the stand and assembled the Police manikin. Chris arrived about 9am he had not been able to use my bracket as he had a single seat and the springs were in the way. We had got everything in place with a few minutes to spare just before 10am and opening time. Georges KSS was first in view on the stand as you came in the door, then my Valiant, Paul’s MK3 LE, Ron’s MK3 LE and then Chris’s Police MK3 overseen at the end by a stern looking Policeman keeping the stand in order.


By 10:30 the hall was starting to fill up so I went over to the Museum stand to see how Pete was getting on. He was OK so I went for a little wander to find a bacon roll to keep me going and look for someone who was selling oil. I would buy some later. I dropped in on the LE stand, handed a flier to one of the judges who was looking very hard at the Valiant and then went to get myself another mug of tea as be at the Museum stand for a bit. There was a flood of people now and Pete was getting into the swing of things with no punter passing without receiving a flier.  There was a great deal of interest in the bikes on the stand, a late model Tiger Cub that had a striking paint job, the Triton and the AKD. More on the AKD later. I had lost track of time and it was about 1:45 and there were only a hand full of fliers left. Over 1000 had been handed out. Pete had a break from the stand for comfort and give his nomination for the best stand. The nomination had to be in by 2:00pm. When he returned I went back to the LE stand. Everyone had missed me. I talked to a few more visitors and then went off to get my oil and a few other bits. When I returned there was a rosette stuck to the front of the Valiant. I thought it was for the club stand, but no it was a “Highly Commended” for the bike.


A few pictures were taken to commemorate the occasion and I went off to the Museum stand to find the Tiger Cub also had a “Highly Commended”. Neither stand got any other prize. Around 3:30 we collected our exhibitor’s medals and started packing up the stand. The stand took a couple of hours to set up and about an hour to get everything cleared. Chris took away every bit that we could not carry on the bikes in his car and we would do the returns at the next club night the following Tuesday. For everyone it was a successful day and most enjoyable. It was Ron’s first show event and enjoyed the fun. It was close to 5pm before I was on my way. George followed me home as we took a circuitous route to avoid the traffic on the Staines road. It was a relatively uneventful journey and even had some motorists shadowing us on the dual carriageway wondering what we were riding. Home safe and everything put away I celebrate with a few of the cans of beer I had bought yesterday. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment