Greenford Police LE Update 4.
Around this time of year I get the treat of having bike magazines arrive through the post along with the Christmas cards. I recently received my copy of Road magazine that is the bi-monthly print of MAG. I know a few of the members among those from Reading and Wycombe and I was able to get to the Stag at Flackwell regularly but not the new venue of the Dashwood Arms in Piddlington. I know Paul and Anne as they have supported my efforts in getting people to the Museum and helped out with the distribution of flyers at Chinnor Byke Dayz. A fantastic event with more entertainment, food and booze than I can cope with but I remember that Paul didn’t look quite as fit and well as he did last year and I was saddened when I read in the Road magazine that ill-health had got the better of him and had passed away at the end of October. My tribute to him was that he always welcomed people with a smile and his friendliness made you fit in straight away. My wife and I shall miss him and our condolences go out his family. He was a genuine Great Guy.
The Museum is still going and another quarter of the rent has been found to get us through to the end of March I am hoping that I will have the Greenford Police LE back together by then. I have completed the welding and started to get on with the filler to hide all the blemishes I’ve added to the body repairing the rotted bits. I think I have doubled the weight of the body with the amount of weld I have put in the repair. I’m not sure how good it will look as some of the repair has been over seams so they have disappeared but it should all look smooth when done.
I did have a problem with a runny nose while I had a cold and I’ve had to clean up some rust spots that appeared after my runny nose had dripped too much and was caught by the metal work.
I didn’t realize how corrosive snot was! To keep more rust from appearing I got hold of some paint on primer to do the inner body and save on spray cans in a hidden area. Not something you should do in a confined space as the fumes are a bit strong but I can’t wait to put on a second coat!
I now have the toolbox lid repaired, filled and, with the aid of a coat hanger wire a hinge for it to pivot on, fitted in place. It has taken few days to get all the filler in place and suitably smooth to get a coat of hand painted primer on everything. It has taken some effort to smooth off the welds and fill the indents and I now have the body in a level of readiness that rubbing down for a final top coat to be applied. That will be on a warmer day than this time of year permits.
As a Christmas present for granddaughter we bought a tricycle. The start of more smiles per mile I think. It took some deliberation when we bought it on-line as you really can’t see how substantial these things are but I elected for a tubular frame and some features like roll bars and a push facility. It has a canopy but, as yet, no tassels.
Put together the day before Christmas eve I was well impressed with the quality of the trike and how well thought out it was. The push facility also controls the steering so little one can be controlled. I had some fun building it but there was much more on the first run out. All the family wanted to push! Now I have an idea that perhaps there should be a bigger version with an engine and without pedals and perhaps an additional seat and, and, and………