Tuesday 28 May 2013

More from Kepmton Park Bike Show




More from the Southern Classic Bike Show

After the hectic weekend I have a little more time to write and before I lose the details. This year the Museum had 3 bikes on the stand, a beautiful little Tiger cub, a Triton and an AKD. The AKD is very unusual as most were 147cc side valve motors. The one on the stand is reputed to be of 300cc with only a few made. One has been tracked down in Belgium and while at the show there is reported to be one in an Australian museum. 



The owner of the AKD is in the process of writing the history of the company and tells me that the Australian one is a 147cc model. I looked forward to seeing the book. I have an interest in AKD as the initials stand for Abingdon King Dick and many people know of King Dick tools and that is where my interest comes in as the main tool that is used on the Velocette LE is the special 3/16 “ Whitworth cranked spanner. It was the only way you could remove the cylinder barrels at one time. You now have mini socket sets that will do the job.




This year I did not have much time to get to the club stands but as some of the guys from the Velocette Club stand had heard of my presentation to the Norton and AJS clubs they would like to hear that too!




As I went around the stands I kept running into two guys on buggies like the ones in the insurance advert and when at the Speedway stand I asked them when they are going to fit bigger engines to their wheels. They were not sure, but enjoyed the joke about fitting a 500cc single for the vibes! At the same stand I found out there is a bike day at the Speedway Museum in the Paradise Wildlife Park at Broxbourne in mid-February so I need to put that in the diary for next year.



As I was heading back to the LE stand after collecting my exhibitors medal, I was hailed by one of the MV exhibitors about the museum not being able to support their AGM in October. I said that it was true in that Ealing Council will be doing building works in the yard and we could not guarantee access to the function room, let alone any additional parking. It was fine for last year but not this. It is a shame as the MV owners were looking for a venue in the south and the museum would have been ideal.



Another few strides and I met the Italian guy who has a collection of Motum, and Itom 50cc bikes and mopeds that I talked to last year. He has such enthusiasm for these machines and even manufactures bits himself to make them as authentic as possible. These bikes a few and far between and look little treasures. 


I still have not got back to the LE stand when I talk to the book seller on the corner. I saw him last year but lost his card with a view that he could give a talk to the Wey Valley bike club on his experiences of riding a BSA Bantam to India. This has just reminded me that I have promised to send out some e-mails to clubs so they can contact me for a presentation. When I finally get back to the LE stand I meet up with the two guys in their buggies again and another joke about speed pops out. Thre have been a few bits of riendly rivalry between the stands partclarly as the Police bike club also had a Police manikin called Eric and he reclined sufficient to be able to sit on his LE.



 He looked a litle too laid back for me. Our man on the street was made of sterner stuff.



I have a few fliers left for the museum with me at the stand and still manage to hand out a few more from my limited stock. The event is busy up to closing time and it has been hard to cover two stands during the day, but very enjoyable none-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment