Wednesday 8 July 2015

Cassington




Cassington 2015

I got home as quickly as I could from the Museum and with Gita in tow we headed up the M40 towards Oxford on the Buell. Another warm day and it was very pleasant to be out in the air enjoying the rare warmth of and English June evening. I had heard about Cassington and thought I should go visit, but had no idea where it was or how long it would take to get there. It is billed as a very big biker event with thousands of bikes focusing on one small village. Just the place to hand out fliers for the Museum. Cassington is a small village in Oxfordshire and hosts this event. It is well organised with massive parking areas for bikes with food and drink laid on throughout the village. Cassington is on the north side of Oxford just off the A40 and for me about 50 miles away. After struggling through the rush hour traffic is was nice to blast up the M40 and then at junction 8 pick up the Oxford bypass and head around to Cassington. A one way system was in operation so you could not turn right into the village but had to go down to the roundabout and back again to make the turn. The whole place was buzzing, bikes and people everywhere. 

Overflow parking!


 No badges or decal anywhere, there were some nice examples of an early BSA Gold Star, an AJS twin port single that I guess from the positioning of the magneto as late 20's or early 30's, Enfield Mitesse, Rudge and a Greaves. Less distinguished were the Velocette camp an LE looking like they could do with a little TLC. 












I had about 200 fliers with me and within and hour I distributed them all to interested people one was a former member of Wycombe MAG and he handed me a flier for the Twisted Iron “the Happening” that will take place 11th and 12th September you can find them on www.twistediron.co.uk for more information. By the time I had got to the vintage and classic bike display many had left. I leave early sometimes because you when on a vintage bike every journey is an adventure and doubly so when you need to use lights.


Rudge                                                                         Enfield Mitesse


Around 9pm many of the bikes were leaving and there was a steady stream out of the bike parks. The air was filled with the sound of exhaust notes from classic Japanese two stokes to race spec Hyabusa's and thundering Harley’s all adding to the biking experience even if only to watch. We headed home as it was getting dark and coming back along the M40 I could hear the clatter of insects on my helmet and screen. I cleaned my helmet as soon as I got home but the bike will have to wait. It does give a new meaning to fly screen!







No comments:

Post a Comment