Wednesday 15 July 2015

BEN Charity through Windsor Great Park 2015



Paul Fynn Rally 2015

I try to do this rally each year, last year it was rain, rain and more rain, this year it was glorious sunshine and soaring temperatures. Even in the morning I set off on the Valiant taking a route through Uxbridge, Iver, Langley Datchet, Old Windsor, Virginia Water and on to the meeting point at the carpark by the miniature railway at Ascot Race course. Almost there and as it was so warm the Valiant did the trick of overheating and stalling at a junction near Saville Gardens. After a few minutes it took a push start to get going again and did the same again at my arrival. I had a little walk around at the start and took a few photos of bikes and cars. There are always some interesting things to see. 



We were given route cards and a briefing. For the first time motorcycles were being lead through the park as there had been a prevalence of accidents on these roads due to there being no right of way, no road markings and no one really understanding that. We set off just before 11am lead by a very nice late 30's MG Roadster. Somehow I was at the back of our group so I had to do catch up with the bigger bikes. Not a problem unless overheating happens again. I have a little cam corder, mounted on the handlebars, running to record the event. 
You can find this on You Tube   
  https://youtu.be/mHQSy7JZLOE
Last years event  in the rain
 https://youtu.be/7rI9iSaXeGI

1911 Singer, before they focussed on car production.







The run was uneventful and the Valiant kept going all the way to the end at Sunningdale Parish Council Recreation ground just down from BEN Nursing home Lynnwood House. This Rally is invitation only and is run to raise money for BEN, the Motor Trade Charity. This year there were fewer bikes and Eamonn Galligan, the organiser of this event is keen to get more bikes on show for the afternoon as it is a major part of the Sunningdale Village Fete. If you are interested in having a run through Windsor Great Park and having your bike on show or having your bike club there too then contact Eamonn on 01344 298100. 




While I am at the Fete I hand out fliers for the Museum and have a general chat to people. I can fill the day nicely until prize giving. Over the last few years I have thirds and second prizes, this year was an exception I was awarded first prize for the post war category and along with the Bully Cup to which I have to add my name and year to it. 



Another success for the little bike and it got me home covering 68 miles for the day and only one overheating and stalling episode at Iver where I was caught in traffic as they too were having their village fete.


No comments:

Post a Comment