Wednesday 3 July 2013

The Paul Fynn Rally




The Paul Fynn Rally
Part Two.
2013.

The line up of some of the bikes at the start.




As we move I fall in behind a 1923 Douglas as we go out to the main road only to see all the leaders turn left into a service road. I am first to the main road and turn left and take the next left. The Douglas over takes me before the junction and starts to overshoot but manages the turn and I am back in front. I know not where I am going. We have not done more than a mile and every turn has caused problems. This was to set the scene for all the road work. At the next junction I did not know where to go. I follow the consensus of turn right. At the next round about I make a right too early and have to make a u turn. The whole group does the same. In the end we do get it right and manage to get to the correct entrance to Windsor Great Park. Relief as now there are some signs to follow but I have now become separated from the group.  At the entrance to the park, having missed it the first time a group of vintage cars let me through. I am a bit quicker than them so I find myself alone on very much deserted roads. I ride quite slowly waving to walkers and picnickers. The views of the park are beautiful and I would love to have stopped to take some photos of the scenery but we have strict instructions not to do that. I passed by the polo match playing off in the distance and did have a few groups of horsemen thundering around on the back tracks. Everyone was thoroughly polite and avoided each other. I caught and passed the 1923 Douglas who had sped on earlier when I took some wrong turnings. He caught me later when I stopped to look at my map tucked in the top of the tank bag. It was two sided and as usual what you want to see is over the fold, join or in this case edge. He knew where he was going so I followed him on the remaining road route. We arrived at the fete in Sunningdale from the wrong direction and were the last bikers to get there. I think we probably had the best detours en route. 




Parked up on a good hard standing I peeled of layer after layer in the heat. It was around mid-day and it was hot! Gita had already arrived and I stowed my gear in the car. She had forgotten my shoes so I would be in bike boots all day. I required refreshment to cool me down followed by a picnic in the sun. Gita had brought chairs which we left by the bike and used a bench and table near the arena where the collection of Veteran cars now stood. I did the rounds of the people by their cars handing out fliers along with many people who passed by. Met some old friends and introduced to new ones. I met the lady who runs events for Brooklands and I have got myself invited along to do a presentation in the autumn for a club night. This year there were more cars and stalls and it seemed more people. It was a bigger site and the organisers made use of it. I was told later that entrants were coming from all over the country to this event which is run by BEN, the motor trade charity, and, from what I see, had the best selection of cars. Eventually I run out of fliers and sit in the shade for a bit. The guy who won the pre-war class last year is to do the judging so his 1939 BMW side valve was not going to win, so I might have a chance again. I had to wipe oil off the left exhaust silencer of the Valiant when I arrived. It had come from the gearbox and I hoped that the oil seal that was leaking would keep enough back to not leave a puddle on the ground and get me home again. It was around 3pm that I went back to the Valiant. I waited for the crowds around the bikes to leave. I didn’t want to be near the judge, who was using my chairs, until he had finished making his decisions. It was an excellent day in the sun and made even better when I had a second prize in the post war class. 




I had to stay for my prize. I collected my gear from the car and Gita and her sister, who is visiting from India, left me to it and they went on home to get ready for a birthday party in the evening. My prize for this year was car care shampoo and polish. Very useful, but not something you can show off in a display cabinet. I was very pleased and said to the organisers who good the venue was. Previously it had been in the grounds of Lynwood house and although cosy parking for visitors was a big problem. Before I left I had a nice talk with the man of the 1923 Douglas, who is a friend of a couple of my friends. How small this world is. I said my goodbyes and was off home. It was after 5pm and I needed to be home by 6pm. I eased the Valiant along at speeds between 30 and 40 mph. I was concerned about the heat of the day. I was pretty warm so I’m sure the bike was too. It did well and I made it home without problems and even before 6pm. I had covered 67 miles for the day 20 of which was on the run between Ascot and Sunningdale.

No comments:

Post a Comment