Sunday 21 July 2013

Another week




A Mixed Bag of Things.

I didn’t do much during the week that followed the Chinnor Bike Dayz event other than a bit of preparation of the car for the up and coming Friends of the 2CV international meeting in Spain. On the Thursday I had a trip out with the Wey Valley ROG’s that took me out for a decent ride on the Buell of some 256 miles with the only event being that the gear change linkage came adrift as I tried to change up from second gear in a village somewhere in Kent.





 Only a few minutes stop to retighten the bolt that had worked lose. Luckily it was still there. A brief chat with one fellow at afternoon tea, who did not know about the museum and is now going to pay a visit on one of his days off. This gets us to Saturday and I head off to Holloway on the Kawasaki to get my GPS repaired. They did it while I waited and I was back home by 12 for lunch and out to Jack Lilleys for a test ride on a Tiger 800 road.




This was a bit of fun as it has the same power and weight as the Buell. It does the job very well but I found the suspension a little hard for my tender derriere. A bit of a round robin doing some shopping to see if it was a good replacement for the Buell or the Kawasaki. I can say that the power delivery is progressive and just got you to the rev limit quite quick. It has a different sort of power to the Buell that comes in with a kick at 4500rpm and hits the rev limiter faster than you could imagine a big twin could do. The seat is wider and more comfortable than the Triumph and the suspension gives you a very smooth ride. I am back at Jack Lilleys in an hour to hand out more fliers and leave some for Sunday where they are doing this open day test ride a bike again. While I was there an Ariel Square Four outfit arrived and was the prettiest thing I had seen all day. 




 
 I could have gone back again on Sunday to test ride something else but I had a prior engagement with a run to Polesden Lacey with the LE owners club. Stewart, a new member, had turned up on his MK2 LE. He was the only person to turn up on a bike and didn’t stay for the picnic. He received a flier for the museum and so did another biker I met at the Pimms bar.

 

 Listening to jazz on the lawn sipping Pimms in the sun followed by a walk around the house and a drippy ice cream afterwards. Back home in the evening via a circuitous route avoiding the M25 that had turned into a melted tar car park. Monday gets me to the Museum again on the LE with twelve people turning up to keep us busy. Monday evening out to the 2CV club night and a couple more fliers given out. Tuesday I have the Buell checked in for a service at Snobs on the North Circular so I head off up the road on foot to the Ace Cafe for breakfast and to leave more fliers. The bike is not ready when I return to Snobs around 11:30 so I carry on to Hangar Lane and Infinity Motorcycles Clothing store to check out some kevlar jeans and to leave more fliers. I then head back to the shop and wait. There I meet up with a guy from Bristol, now living in London, who had his Harley stolen and was subsequently returned. Lucky man! We had a chat about life and of course the Museum before he left on his pink Scooter (borrowed for the day). Back home by mid afternoon and more preparations on the car before I head for Bristol on Wednesday and DIY doctor on my Mum’s ailing conservatory on the hottest two days of the year. Home for Friday and a bit of a rest day planning the route to Spain and another weekend of sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment