Wednesday 24 July 2013

Firefighters!





Bikers are Everywhere.

Have you ever looked up Motorcycle Clubs on the internet? You will see at least 300 of them in the UK all following their chosen path with which ever bike they fancy. A true following with enthusiasm to enjoy themselves. So after a drop in to the Museum on Sunday on the LE, I have still not yet fixed the Valiant, to get up to date with Bill and the general proceedings that have gone on, namely the building works that have not yet started but the yard is now clear in readiness. It may all be finished by the time I get back from the 2CV international in Spain however at the current speed of progress it may be when Spain is revisited could be a more realistic time scale. It also looks as though the pledges for money are coming closer to reality and we may well get the building we need for the cafeteria and more display space. Although just dropping in I did manage to guide a few visitors and discovered one of them had designed and built a frozen section microtome. Not my area of Pathology but still very interesting. We almost set the world to rights before I had to depart as I was not expected to be too long away. Monday I was back at the Museum again on the LE with the prospect of another scorching day avoided by being in the “Home of Triumph” where there is a bit of air conditioning and most people gravitated to it leaving John boiling in the shop. He was a little refreshed by the melon I had brought with me for lunch. In the morning there was a steady stream of people and in the afternoon things hotted up. A couple of guys from the oil industry, one suffering from tequila overload of the night before. Then four guys turned up with distinctive leather waist coats and patches, intrigued by this you have to ask and they are Firefighters.

 


 If you look these guys up on the internet there are branches world-wide. Today we have the honour of having visitors from America and they arrived on bikes! Sitting outside the Museum in the shade were a Fire fighting FLH, a Jack Daniels custom Springer Softail, a W650 Kawasaki and a loan BMW. 




These guys are looking to build an international network of Firefighting Bikers. It was a very interesting afternoon as one of the British guys, unfortunately asked me what I had done in my working life. He knew people in Pathology and knew exactly what I was talking about. I just can’t seem to get away from work!  As anyone who knows me, if you ask me something there is rarely a simple yes or no answer. It seemed we all departed at the same time and I followed them out of the car park of the Museum at the end of the day. They went one way and I the other on the LE. I had to get moving to go to a meeting that related to my work in Pathology at St Thomas’s Hospital. I don’t seem to be able to escape from 40 years in the NHS!

No comments:

Post a Comment