Tuesday 19 August 2014

Croxley green and more










Early August

The month of August drifts between holidays and events. Most of the time the focus is on what is happening over the Bank Holiday weekend. However, locally the first Wednesday in August is the Watford Car Club annual event at Croxley Green near Sarlat just outside Rickmansworth.
This time I headed up there a bit earlier in the day to see what was there and hand out some fliers for the Museum. I was on the Buell and after getting to the depleted motorcycle parking area I was invited to put the Buell on display with the other bikes. There were some really well presented bikes there and as time went on more bikes were on display. One caught my eye and at first I thought it was a Norton Jubilee but when I questioned the owner is was the bigger engined Navigator.


Off to Birmingham at the weekend and handed out more fliers at the Holiday Inn Birmingham airport and just down the road is the National Motorcycle Museum. More fliers for them and I picked some of theirs up to bring back. Monday at the Museum on the LE with another international day and more rain. Tuesday out in the rain again to Wycombe MAG to hand out more fliers and find out about the shenanigans going on with subtle changes in the MAG name. Best left to the people who know, I guess, but my view is that it is a waste of effort that will not achieve very much. I do support MAG as we need to have a political voice to remind the politicians we are still voters. Moving on after more biking on Wednesday on the LE and a trip to Snobs at Hangar Lane gyratory for a new battery for the Buell. I thought it was time as I had to keep jump starting it off the car battery. With the new battery fitted I was out on Thursday for a ROG's run that went down to Eastbourne missing most of the rain. I bemoaned the fact that each time I was out on the bikes it rained! Bertha was dripping on me! Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so far that week and if you have been following what I have been doing, other than Croxley Green it has rained on me every ride out. Who said it had been a dry summer? Eastbourne was a good trip out with the only downpour at coffee break as we waited for the rain to go away under a gazebo in a country garden hoping the lightening would miss us.





At Eastbourne we had lunch in Harry Ramsdens and watched the biplane wing walkers doing stunts over the beach followed by a flypast of two Spitfires and two Lancaster bombers. One from the UK and the other featured on the news a few days earlier as it had come from Canada.





On the way back to the bikes we came across a very nicely restored Ariel Leader and the couple who rode it there have promised to come to the Museum. Black clouds loomed but the run leader kept us away from the rain and I managed to get home dry for a change.



No comments:

Post a Comment