Sunday 7 April 2013

Wey Valley Bike Club Meeting


Sunday 7th April 2013

Since the last posting I have not done much towards promoting the museum. Up to Easter I was busy getting ready for the work to be done on my Mum’s conservatory in Bristol gathering together tools and repair items. The conservatory requires major repairs and along with my 2 brothers we were to make a start on this. In the end we only managed to get the back door and frame replaced. These coming from my house when I had the double glazing replaced.  I thank my builder and his team who took care in removing the old wooden windows and doors so I could reuse them. When in Bristol a visit to the Old Duke for some live music is a must so Gita and I went to see the “World Government” on the Saturday night. This band was unusual rock, the impact of which drove some people to fall over. A group of young lads had been on the “Nesquick” I believe the contents of this Nesquick tub were responsible for this behaviour. I am of the age where Horlicks and Ovaltine are the night-time drink of choice. I could now be convinced that milk based drinks are no longer that safe and a gin and tonic could be the better option. I have seen fewer people fall over with a G&T. Sunday lunch time we were back at the Duke again for the Keith Little jazz band. A lively group with short solos. Probably because they are all older than me and have run out of puff. A quick tidy up and back home for Sunday evening with my Mum coming along too. She has a really bad cold and needs a bit of looking after. My eldest brother, Barry, belongs to a local tractor club in Chipping Sodbury and a sailing club at Saltford so he has taken a wad of fliers for the museum for both those for me. He also does marshalling at Castlecombe race circuit and he was there the Sunday and the Monday. He complained about how cold it was! This last week I didn’t get out much so I assembled and glazed a custom greenhouse, cannibalised from a standard 8 by 6 and I learned how to cut and break allot of glass and catch my Mum’s cold! I was just as miserable as the weather. It snowed! I wondered if my health and the weather would improve for the weekend. Roasting my bones on Saturday gave me the energy to get up early on Sunday morning to escape on the Buell to the Wey Valley Advanced Motorcycle Club Meeting at Ripley Village Hall. A mug of tea and a bacon butty is a good start to the day. I needed to be there to remind people of my run to the London Motorcycle Museum starting from Newlands Corner at 10:30 am on Monday morning with a trip to the Ace Cafe for lunch before going on to the museum. I stayed at the hall today choosing not to go for a long run out. I talked to Mark, the events co-ordinator about bikes and cars and more bikes before heading off to Newlands Corner to hand out more fliers for the museum. There I ran into John, editor of “Intercom” the club magazine. He is also a trained observer and was with a pupil. As I know he knew about the museum I jokingly handed him a flier and he, along with the pupil laughed and told me to “bugger off” I soon headed for home around the traffic jam know as the M25 to reach another jam on the M4 going east. There were lane closures so I made a detour along the Uxbridge road to get home. It may not be pleasant, but it is good to mix it with the traffic to maintain your filtering skills. Use it or lose it!

No comments:

Post a Comment