Saturday 20 April 2013

Meridian Chapter visit





Saturday 13th April 2013

This week I made the effort to get out to Wycombe MAG, not only to hand out more £1 off Monday fliers but to keep contact with the guys there. This group is very active and their attitude and friendliness suits me and Gita. There are more women in that club! Gita has a cold so I head out on my own. It is damp and cold with a few spots of rain to add to experience. I have a great time and get to know another guy from West London Harleys who meet up each Wednesday at the Angel Hayes End. Another place to visit. I get home late and feel that my cold is returning and I am losing my voice. Wednesday we are out to the Black Horse pub at Greenford not to see the AJS and Matchless Club this time but for the live music. My Friday is disrupted, I have plans for DIY, a small walnut stained bookcase for the kitchen, when I get a call from John Braddick editor of the Wey Valley bike club magazine “Intercom” asking if I had any photos of me, my bike and Warrs HD at Mottingham for my article “Not a ROG’s run” where my day changes from a riding disaster to a successful warranty plea! My thanks to Sean for all him help in this. A couple of days earlier I had received an e-mail inviting me to meet the Chapter on Saturday lunch time with “Dogs for the Hogs”  So what better to do with a grey Saturday than to pay them a visit and get some photos at the same time. I am a bit slow on getting going this Saturday morning after completing the bookcase rubbing down and varnishing, I head off to Mottingham. I get there just after 1pm have a chat with a few people and leave a large wad of fliers as the Chapter is doing the Meridian run to Greenwich tomorrow. 



I talk too much and miss the “Dogs”. Just before I leave I meet a young lady at the service counter. She has passed her test just a week ago and now has a Sportster.  I take the opportunity to tell her about doing an advanced riding course and she is keen to improve her skills. I give her a Wey Valley flier more to enlighten than anything else. I have one of the sales staff take a photo of me and my bike just before I leave. 
 


I need some fuel for the Buell. I had done 30.3 miles on reserve and there was not much left in the tank. I fill up at the BP station just across the road from Warrs. 15.62L still about another 10 miles of riding left in the tank.  It is spitting with rain and before I get to the M25 I put my waterproof oversuit on as the rain is coming down harder. The trip home is through heavy rain and the M25 is a fog of spray. I make it home safely with only my gloves a little soggy. I have heated handlebar grips and these have kept my fingers warm and mostly dry. I have covered 132 miles on this outing and have the required photos for the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment