Sunday 24 July 2016

Sunbeam Owners Club



Another Ray of Sunshine.

It has been a little while since I did a presentation about the London Motorcycle Museum and this one resulted from doing some fund raising at Kempton Park last March. George Smith took my details and after a week or two I received a message about arranging a date. What was months away arrived on one of the warmest days of the year. At last I am going out on the bike with no threat of rain!! Perhaps, at last, the honour of Rheinmeister has been passed on and I can get a bike ride done in the dry! It is Monday 18th July and I am on my way to West Kingsdown and the village hall to meet the guys and gals from the Sunbeam Owners Club. They are the business as they are the people who organise the Pioneer Run and the London to Brighton. Within the club are experts on pretty much anything. Would my meagre knowledge cut the mustard? I had left plenty of time to get around the M25 but a Tomtom failure to recognise the location left me 10 miles from where I should have been with 20 minutes before the meeting started. Fortunately I arrived just in time loaded with laptop, back-up memory stick and lots of fliers. All turned out well as I set up the laptop and projector, Screen arrived and within a few minutes I had launched into my presentation. I spoke a little about what I do for the Museum, all voluntary, representing them at events and shows and, when possible get out to bike clubs to promote the cause of getting people to visit us. The most recent thing is to try to raise funds to keep the Museum doors open for as long as possible. So far we are good until the new year. On this evening I was talking about the bikes at the Museum and some of the historic events that influenced the types of motorcycle produced. The presentation covered 1902 to 2003 starting with our 1902 Ormonde and finishing with Bruce Anstey's 2003 Super sports TT winner and lots of stories around some people who influenced the motorcycle industry like Harry Ricardo and Granville Bradshaw. 

1092 Ormonde













Bruce Anstey's 2003 TT winner



It was a very good evening with contributions from many people. One of the motorcycles, the 1930 OHC Triumph racer, that had expired at Brooklands a few weeks before was now running and I played the video of it being started. 

1930 OHC Triumph



A couple who had visited the Museum just the day before had a treat as Frank had had a modern technology failure and was not able to show them the clip on his phone. What an evening as each person in the club had something to talk with me about even down to the former owner of the 1915 Calthorpe that he used to ride regularly. I had a great time and I think everyone who turned up enjoyed it too. Their collection for the Museum added another £74.50 to keep us open a bit longer. I am amazed how generous the Sunbeam Owners Club are and more people have promised to pay us a visit especially on a Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment