Monday 30 May 2016

Kempton Park 2016




Southern Classic Bike Show 2016

When putting on a stand some things never go smoothly. At the beginning when you need to submit bikes and riders and helpers you call on every able bodied person. This year was no exception, but the exception was so many bikes were out of commission and so was one of the riders! To this side of things you have to look around to see what you can do. This time I enlisted the help of the London Motorcycle Museum to help out with the bikes. Manning the stand on the day were Chris, Gita and me. With Gita's help we got the Valiant there on the Friday and set up as best we could. Chris arrived early on the Saturday morning before I did and had his part of the display set up. Unfortunately the large pictures I had put up on Friday night came down by Saturday morning and it was a battle to keep them in place all day as the adhesive I had used was not doing its job. I have to think about something different next year.



On the display this year were my Valiant, Chris's Police LE with Constable Noddy and his Police box along with the LE MK2 cutaway and the Viceroy scooter from the LMM. It was an early start with everything needing to be in place by 08:30and the gates opened at 09:00 sharp! There is an auto-jumble going on as well so some of the punters are scrambling to get in for the bargains of the day.
We were busy all day with much interest in the LE cutaway and the Viceroy. Many mugs of tea were consumed to keep the voice going and we all had a few breaks from the stand taking a wander around to see what was about. There was an LE that would need quite a bit of TLC and a green Valiant Veeline that had Del'Orto carbs fitted and a very nicely turned out Deemster with the Viceroy engine too. 

There were some nice thirties bikes that a 500cc Moto Guzzi and a 250cc version. Later on that day I went around again to take photos and both of these had gone. Someone else had thought these were good too. I have always liked the Aermacchi 250's and 350's and there was a harley badged early model with a blue tank for sale. Perhaps I'll get one one day. I did see a sad one with the head and barrel off showing a very big hole in the piston. Each year there are more foreign bikes on offer some are rare but I think the MV's, Ducati's and Gilera's of the 50's have unique styling with Italian performance that made many of the bigger British bikes look a bit out dated.


By the end of the day we had talked ourselves to a stand still. The stand was very busy with at least three people going away with club application forms and a many more asking questions about the club and technical stuff. Ay 3pm was the prize giving. We didn't win anything again this year but did get a few bottles of wine from the organisers for our troubles. Nice as the wine is my personal preference are the medals that used to be issued to the exhibitors. Something small that you can keep as a memento.



It didn't take quite as long to take the stand down and pack it away as it had taken to put it up. Bikes supplied by the LMM were wheeled away to put on a trailer to be taken back. My big thanks to the LMM for letting me have the bikes on the stand and getting then there. It made our display so different from previous years. Chris's bike was loaded on to my trailer for him to take home and as the last bits were sorted it started to rain. So it was a wet trip home for me on the Valiant with only main beam working and something to sort out later. I got home safely through the Saturday traffic. Gita complained to me that my indicators were not working! I was more concerned why the brake light wasn't. She didn't notice that or my hand signals! The Valiant has not got indicators fitted. The point here is that people expect things to have modern bits fitted to old bikes and that it is worth considering that when restoring or rebuilding one. I think that safety over accuracy is most important if you are out on the roads these days. Never mind the brake lights I'll just have to fit indicators!


No comments:

Post a Comment