Wednesday 9 March 2016

Starter problem on the Valiant



Look Mum! No Teeth!

The other Monday I had a plan to head off to the Museum on the Valiant. It was at the front of the garage and ready to go, as I thought. This didn't happen as when I tried to start it the engine would not turn over. I was left with the sound of teeth knocking each other but not engaging then the mechanism locking up only to be released by selecting a gear and wheeling the bike backwards. The delights of trying to use a 59 year old bike. 



My project for the week was to fix it. I have a stock of LE spares and found a serviceable quadrant in a box and in another box a brand new oil seal. I had not planned to replace this but I had an oil leak around the clutch area and need to cure that. It didn't take too long to split the engine from the gearbox and get it out of the frame. The starter quadrant is located within the engine casing and it was easy to see why things were not working. I also discovered that the oil leak was from the starter shaft. The oil seal was loose in the housing. 



No leaks visible from the clutch or gearbox shafts. I did fish out the bits of teeth from the sump with a magnet on a stick and change the oil. Everything back together in a day but on the test ride the clutch was slipping. The new gaskit fitted was thinner than before with no adjustment left on the cable I had to adjust the eccentric bolt on the fulcrum at the back of the gearbox. Easy enough to do on the bench, not so easy with swing arm in the way. It required loosening the lock nut, turn the bolt a fraction to create more play to have some adjustment on the clutch cable. I did this laying the ground and working upwards, fiddly and awkward. Lastly, lock up the nut and ready to go. It now starts much better now having a quarter of a turn on the kick starter rather that a tenth. I know Velocettes never have enough travel to give it a “good kick” but this had gone too far!
Out on the Sunday with a “Back by one run” with the club on the Sunday morning. All this on the Kawasaki ER6F, now I have heated handlebar grips on it. Off to the Museum on the Monday on the LE with some interest from the visitors for it. Chris had brought in a French Motorcycle magazine  Moto Revue Classic March-April 2016 that has done a six page feature on the Museum. It was a good article with some good photos too that I have taken the liberty to show you.




If you have visited the Museum you will have seen all of this but not in French!

It is great to know how other people see us. I do hope we get more visitors from France.
































No comments:

Post a Comment