Friday 6 September 2013

Hot Monday




More DIY

After the post holiday blues, what next? I managed to get the gearbox changed on the car and after buying a few parts finished the assembly last Saturday. Another day crawling around under the car. Sunday, the first one of the month is Wey Valley bike club day so I was off out to enjoy the sunshine and get brushed up on my riding techniques. It has been a few years since I passed my advanced motorcycle test and I had the feeling I was losing my edge after driving the car so far during the trip to Spain. I had an enjoyable couple of hours and was told to stop riding as though I was driving a car and get back on my bike!



So I did and headed for a visit to the Museum to sort out the things I would need for the forthcoming show at Ally Pally. Only a quick stop but I did spot a few well preserved 1300 Kawasaki’s parked out the front. I spoke to the guys when I got inside to discover they were from Leicester and had come to London for the Classic Japanese Motorcycle day at the Ace Cafe. They had come along to the Museum to see what it was like. They had read so much about it they had to see for themselves.



I went to find Bill but he had disappeared somewhere but what I did see was the Triumph Trophy parked up on the rear access ramp. It had been taken out of the Museum to go to a Salon Privee at Syon Park in the coming week. I arranged with Phillipa to collect the Hendon LE engine and gearbox cutaway and fliers for the show the next day. The rest of Sunday I spent cleaning the car and the Buell and the Valiant.



If you read this later in the week it’ll be raining and the sunshine of Monday at the Museum will be a distant memory. The last Monday I did of the week following a Bank Holiday and children started back at school not one person visited the Museum. This year and this Monday almost as soon as we were open people started arriving. Mid morning we had a contingent from Sweden five mature lads, who were doing the rounds of the museums and, were on their way to Brooklands in a camper.




They much enjoyed their visit and even tried the ginger beer. One of the last visitors to arrive were from Spain Juan Miguel and his wife who did an excellent job of interpreting bike jargon. He was a retired policeman and had several bikes of his own. His interest in the bikes was amazing and they spent all afternoon talking and photographing anything and everything. Juan Miguel even signed his name on “the Board of Fame” They were here for the Olympics last year and have promised to come back next year when they visit the UK again. The afternoon was gone and time to get the cutaway into the back of my car. It took three of us to lift it and a sack truck to move it around. It was surprisingly heavy more due to the thickness of the board it was mounted on.
During the week the car went in for its MOT and this is where the DIY comes in, we had not found a suitable piece of furniture to put things on in the kitchen. A suggesting by the eldest was that I should make one. That is exactly what I did in two days. It still needs to be varnished but it is in place to try it for size and now covered in plants!


No comments:

Post a Comment