Friday 6 September 2019

Scooters Night at the Ace Cafe





Scooters at the Ace.

I have had a busy week out and about on the bikes enjoying what remains of the September weather. I have a few hours before I catch a flight to India and what is planned to be a biking expedition to the one of the highest mountain passes Ladakh. During the packing I discovered I had worn out the soles on my bike books, I did wonder why one foot was colder than the other, now I know, but it did mean an unplanned visit to a cobbler twice for two new soles and heels to be fitted. One to drop them off and two to collect as it was a big job. He did a grand job and now I’m a bit taller and I can reach the ground more easily also a bit more weatherproof. When I return I’ll make notes about about what gear I took and if I used it, was it any good.


Gita, my wife, had a special dancing lesson in Wembley at 6:30 in the evening so we took the Kawasaki and dropped her off and I went back to the Ace Cafe on the North Circular for a read of the latest Road MAGazine while sipping a mug of tea. A mug for a pound great value! This evening was Scooter night. By the time I finished my tea it was starting to get dark and I thought I had better take some photos on my phone. People always arrive on something interesting. There was the “Stealth Lambretta” that had lowered handlebars. How did he do that? 
















A novel way to mount a GPS, or phone or Ipad then there are the lights. One Lambretta had so many lights I have no idea where the power comes from to run them all and mirrors! So many that they must be a distraction unless you like to see yourself posing. So much gear the scooter must weigh a ton. What really caught my eye was this little sports Lambretta. Spare wheel in the foot well to        make the impression of a racing tank, bump seat and half leg shields. Stripped for speed and finished in bright red. Just the thing to pop around on.










I was waiting fo a call from Gita to pick her up when I entered into a conversation with a young fella who had parked his, slightly older, Kawasaki ER6F near mine. We compared notes on how good they are and some of the drawbacks and what was needed for touring. A Versys you might say but we both agreed that the Versys was a bit to short for getting your foot past the top box. He also was thinking about taking an Advanced Riding course from the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) and asked about content and length of course all of which I was able to advise him on. I had been checking my phone for missed calls and messages, nothing until about quarter to nine and saw 9 missed calls and 4 messages!!! I hate technology when it fails. I phoned Gita straight away and within minutes I had picked her up and we were on our way home. She was about to get a taxi to come over to the Ace to search for me. She was a bit worried that something had happened and quite rightly so, but it was only a failure of the system to connect and we pay for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment