Tuesday 25 June 2019

Haynes Museum




A visit to the Haynes Museum

As I was in Warminster collecting a gearbox for my next four wheel project and was close enough to Sparkford I spent a day at the Haynes Museum primarily to see how they had displayed the Robin Spalding scooter collection but to see what else they had. 




I was amazed at the Speedway bike collection and the variety of engines used. It was said that many of these bikes were from Ivan Maugher’s collection. I thought most were in the collection at the Paradise Wildlife park but there must be more than would fit in there. 



A great day, this visit I took the guided tour by Roy that concentrated on Triumph. Little about the bikes and much more on the development of the cars. Interesting anyway. As you may know John Haynes began it all by writing about his building of an Austin 7 special while still at school. Can’t do things like that now, too many Elves around. Roy was very knowledgable and, as he owned some of the Triumph cars our group had a very intimate look at them. Closer than most people are allowed to get. There was not enough time to spend looking at the displays in detail and I have to have another visit perhaps later on in the year.
There are a few things going on as it is now MOT time for some of my bikes and that means some servicing to be done. I do a great deal myself but I see it is as sensible to get someone else to check them over. 



I have read the recent issue of “Road” the MAG magazine and there is a short piece on Mark Holmes and his around the world trip on a Triumph Rocket 3. I remember Mark from his visit to the Museum in the early part of 2017 before he set off on this epic adventure in April. That was also mentioned in “Road". This adventure had an unexpected outcome and I think I will need to read the book from tales of sadness that set him on his way to finding love and marriage by his return. Don’t we all like a good love story but not necessarily with your bike?
You can look him up on www.markholmes.me




The on going saga of the restoration of the Greenford Police LE I have completed the repair of the Olicana screen and have just refitted it but not all the way as the headlamp bolts are not long enough to pinch the front mounting and I need to get two bolts a quarter of an inch longer. 
I say it in imperial as that was what was used at the time. Metric was only on the foreign stuff. I must admit the foreign stuff of that era had class, style and continence. My usual description about the British bikes in the museum is that along with age comes incontinence and most have nappies under them except the LEs. At some point it will be completed the work but it is good enough to be on display.




In between other things, having some spare box section I created an extra bit for my bike trailer. Bike gear takes up a lot of space so I came up with the idea of finding a way to strap suitcases, with the gear in, along with a bike so I don’t fill up the car. I’m not sure how well this is going to work but when I have tried it out I’ll let you know.



No comments:

Post a Comment