Sunday 25 September 2016

Another Hill




Kop Hill Climb 2016

Following a little trip out to Eastbourne there were too many things going on over the weekend to do them all priorities were a birthday and a visit to an old friend. That did leave me a few hours each morning to do something. I was due to pick up some cables at Kempton Park auto-jumble but ran out of time to get there so they are now being posted to me and the weather was not that pleasant after the heat of the week. Sunday was much better and with an early start I was at Kop Hill by 10:00 on the Buell. 



I took a few photos and talked to number of people even before I got to the stand. The stand created a lot of interest with Frank starting the ohc Triumph and with so many people to talk to about the Museum.



I spoke to a journalist who used to make the videos for Duke entertainments and now is looking to do something a bit more interesting now retired from full time work. Arriving at the stand were a threesome who were in period costumes two of the thirties and the other from the fifties pictured with the Brooklands Sprinter.



I am told by Frank that it started like as a 1927 Sheffield Henderson and has a Blackburne engine. The frame has been much modified to take that engine with the lower top tube being pushed up and to one side to squeeze the engine in. Have a close look at it. It has some very interesting features. A new addition to the Museum collection is the Rickman Miteese and the kind owner has donated it to us. It is an ex-police bike that has a black enamel frame, unusual as Rickman usually nickel plate their frames. It is in the little barn at the present so ask if you want to see it.





























If  you wonder why we didn't run something up the hill it is a matter of cost. To enter the hill climb the motorcycle needs to be road legal and that means taxed, insured and number plates!!!

I'm planning for next year to take part with the Valiant so watch this space for the outcome. I left Kop Hill around 12:30 to then go off to see our friend who lives near Alexandra Palace. Another late night.


Waiting at the bottom of Kop Hill, now on Youtube

Now Frank has https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ria5-ukKzfUanother go at starting the Single ohc Triumph at the display at Kop Hill.

Back at the Museum on Monday, not having good start as when I went to leave home on the LE it would not start and I have petrol pouring over the floor. This was just a stuck float. Not having time to wait to sort it out and running late I went on the Kawasaki so I didn't have to unload my magnetic tank bag. Not much going on there were not many visitors, but what was a coincidence that three of them and in the Museum at the same time were from South Africa. A husband and wife and, on her own, another lady who does paintings of motorcycles, took so many pictures from all angles they kept us busy all day. I think they had a good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment