Friday 29 April 2016

Museum of Berkshire Aviation



Drive It Day 2016

As I have done in previous years it is a trip out with the 2CV club. A convoy of seven cars left the start point at Runnymede. I was in my El Cid (a Mehari replica). It was a nice dry day with a bit of sunshine and it would have been good to get out there on a bike and I'm sure many of you did. 




I still have the book by Ixion rattling around in my head with the progress that happened very early on in spite of the lack of adventurous designs and high risk of failure around an unknown product. That product has evolved into a very sophisticated piece of kit around a petrol engine that came out of the dark ages and back into the “Dark Ages” this time with aviation. The trip out was to the Museum of Berkshire Aviation, at Woodley near Reading, with the history of locally built aeroplanes from Handley Page and Fairey. 



There were some incredible models and so much information about everything that many of us took a break to be able to read more. There were guides to help us and there were some interesting discussions about the designs. Of great interest was the jet rotor where the jet engines were mounted at the ends of a helicopter rotor blades and spun them around at phenomenal speed. I wouldn't have wanted to be around if one of them came loose! 




As this history of aviation covers two world wars motorcycles were not left out. There is a nice red Corgi to see and also many of the famous pilots were also enthusiastic motorcyclist-must be something to do with death or glory stuff? 



There efforts have been well represented at Brooklands and there are snippets around that reflect this. It is a small but excellent museum packed to the rafters with aircraft and models with information about everything.




 I had walked around with some aircraft buffs and so much of what we had achieved technologically was streets ahead of everyone else at the time and so many of the ideas were later put into practice in modern aircraft and hailed as new! I enjoyed the visit immensely. I'll visit again after my brain has settled down after being immersed in so much mechanical history. It is not expensive to visit and cheap enough to drop in if you only have half an hour at £3.50 for adults and £2.50 for seniors. I'll be going back again with more fliers for the LMM.


No comments:

Post a Comment