Tuesday 19 May 2015

A Special Day





Opening of the Minter Cafe

After a long time with efforts from everyone our old cafe area has been transformed. It was a little past its best but nothing that new flooring a lick or two of paint and cabinets to hold the trophies of the late Derek Minter. Best know as “King of Brands” and a fierce competitor but one who is remembered as a King in Motorcycling. 

It has taken the better part of two years to get this collection to our Museum and Monday 18th May was the grand unveiling of the trophies in display cases now for all to see. 


Many people came to see this with Colin Seeley making the address to everyone. Those people who know the former greats like Dave Croxford and Paul Smart will remember them from reading about their racing achievements in the Motorcycle News in the 50's, 60's and 70's. 

It was an honour to meet the people who rode those big singles on British short tracks at that time. There are many others and there is another signed board to grace the museum archives. 

There were so many people there that I must apologise if I have missed more of our motorcycling greats. I had seen their pictures as a lad but time has moved on for all of us and also my memory has faded a bit so the combination of failing memory and years has made some of the people difficult to recognise. However as volunteer I did my duty to give tours to those who wanted them and I think most of the people knew more than me about the bikes we have as they have lived and worked on them in their time. Tales of daring do and close riding filled the air. 

It was a day to be remembered. Eric Patterson was there with his Viscount, the Vincent powered Norton that will be going to Bonneville soon for another record attempt.
I wonder if this bike will be at the Kempton Park Southern Classic bike show on Saturday 23rd May? I will be there with my little Valiant on the LE Velo Club stand.


No comments:

Post a Comment