Saturday 27 September 2014

Caistor Castle Motor Museum


Caistor Castle Car Collection.

Back from the Lake District, a day at the Museum, then off to Martham on the Norfolk Broads. This was a good ride on the Buell for a family visit while they are on holiday there. It was another international day at the museum on Monday, with visitors from America and France. It all adds to the fun of being a volunteer to hear peoples' stories. I had only one full day on the Broads and the weather had turned cold with wind and downpours. I had spotted a car museum sign on my travels and thought this might be the best place to spend a wet afternoon. Family in tow we headed off in my brother's car to find Caistor Castle Car Collection.





I had looked it up in the morning on my phone and got some details and directions. It is reported to be the largest private collection in Britain. A must to see if your are in the area. The only problem it is only open May to September. We were lucky to get a visit in as it was closing for the winter in a couple of days.


I did see some interesting things like the 3 wheeler Scott that looks like it should have had four wheels but one fell off! One of the first electric motorcycles, a Socovel made in Belgium around 1922 and many interesting bikes among them a Nimbus and a beautiful looking Henderson.




As usual I have left fliers behind and brought some of the Motor Museum back with me. My appreciation of the visit goes to Debbie, the Curator of this Museum, who was kind enough to put up with my ramblings and as the Motor Museum was about to close she would pass the fliers on to the local motorcycle clubs for me. I will need to send her more fliers for when they re-open next May. I had a good run back although the wind was stronger and it was cloudy and not so warm. I have a new rear engine oil seal to fit on my little car. It's a bit of a job as the engine needs to come out to get to it. Never mind it is what you have to d to keep the old cars running.


No comments:

Post a Comment