Friday 10 January 2014

What to do when it rains!






Visit a Museum 


I tend to go find something to read but just once in a while there are more active things to do. 
Sunday I was at the Wey Valley Advanced Motorcycle club first Sunday of the month and this new year for the morning as bad weather was expected and I headed home early and spent the afternoon reviewing my London Motorcycle Museum presentation. Monday I was at the Museum and we have a new volunteer in Chris to help out. He has loaned us his Triumph Trophy and it is on display in the Home of Triumph. It rained and rained all day so I looked up more things from the Classic Motorcycle. We did have a few visitors, one from Moscow. His English and grasp of technical terms was very good. I would like to have that level of understanding in another language. Tuesday I was at the Isleworth Probus club to give a presentation about the Museum. I’d scrubbed up to look my best, suit and all for the occasion. 
They were an enthusiastic group and many recounted their own exploits on motorcycles from their youth. I didn’t need to hand around any fliers as they had already booked a visit to the Museum for Monday February 3rd.   

Wednesday was a trip out to a private collection I had been invited to while at the Off Road Bike Show in December. This was the first promised dry day for ages and I made the most of it heading out to deepest Surrey late morning. To say the least it was not a warm ride but the reception certainly made up for it. There were more than forty bikes in the collection with early AJS’s in pristine condition. In the collection are Ariels including a real red Red Hunter, a couple of Greaves and a Royal Enfield track bike that has a very short wheelbase.



 His line up of Norton’s’ is very impressive. All of the bikes are in such good condition and roadworthy. If you would like to view his collection then contact Dave on 07836384505. He has some interesting stories to tell from his youth and still enjoys his bikes searching out and rebuilding them often making his own parts that have become impossible to find. I did like the experimental bike known as the Dunaton a classic in its own right that was drawn from 1930 parts plus a few newer ones to finish it off.





 Dave has an early Gold Star a ZB34 and a Triumph TR5 that has the same top end as the generator engine mentioned in the GP racer posting. There are bits around everywhere waiting to be used in the assembly of yet another project. His collection continues to grow. Keep an eye out for him at some of the events in Surrey as he usually rides one of his bikes to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment