Tuesday 3 December 2013

Gone Flying




Visit to Duxford

I'm in Cambridgeshire for a few days and it has just turned mighty cold. I rode up from Hayes on Sunday evening after my first of the month meeting with the Wey Valley Advanced Motorcycle club. 



I left more fliers for the unsuspecting and then went on to Newlands Corner to catch more. I had a nice chat with a guy from the BSA owners club who was there on his BSA scrambler. He kindly let me take a picture of him and his bike  (the best side).


On from Newlands corner to the Museum to pick up a replacement stick on badge that had come unstuck from my tabard. 
    Taking the opportunity, not to be missed, I visited the Imperial War Museum at Duxford on the Monday. A little trip out on the Buell along some very nice country lanes with a few interesting moments with occasional mud from tractors smeared across the road. It all adds to the thrill of winter motorcycling.  Following TomTom and in the end using an OS map because Tom kept sending me to the M11 I arrived at the air field, leaving most of my gear in the panniers on the bike and armed with fliers and beanie went into the museum. I was warned that it was not that warm.


I left fliers at the desk for the staff as I was not permitted to leave them for the general public I went on the rounds of the hangars supported on a good lunch from their cafeteria.


I was well impressed by all the displays and above all the size of some of the aircraft. I only found a few motorcycles on my rounds and I did think at the time how big a part motorcycles played in both World Wars and not really recognised as they were used as the most rapid form of communication at airfields.


I took a number of pictures of planes and bikes and at closing time made my way back to the cottage where I am staying. I had a good day out and if you are able pay Duxford a visit do so. Some of the displays are awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment