Monday 18 November 2013

Wednesday 6th November






White Helmets

How different are the days of the week?  Mainly it is the memory of what happens on any particular day like Mondays are my Museum days or Thursdays are my ROG’s days but what about a Wednesday? A Diamond day at B&Q for us oldies and why should November 6th be such a special day? The Museum opening up specially on a Wednesday and me being there too! I had come back from Bristol late in the evening with tales from the Douglas Factory at Kingswood that have peaked my interest and a note  will follow when I have had time to research it a little more. From the title you may have already guessed that this was a visit from the White Helmets Motorcycle Display Team.



They are of the Royal Signal Corps and have been doing displays as long as I can remember and that comes from the beginning of TV in the UK and the Edinburgh Tattoo where they have performed many times. Fortunately the team is much younger than those I can first remember. I wonder if any of those who I first saw on TV are still around. It was a damp day so I was in the car and camera in tow. I did my bit when they arrived, taking photos and running out of batteries! I managed some pics before they got in the Museum and after a few introductions the group split into two as there were 20 of them.


I did my stint on the early bikes, taking far too long before the other group returned and I did it all again. More photos at the finish and they were gone! I did ask if they would do a pyramid under the Meriden clock but that didn’t happen but they did sign the board of fame. They didn’t manage many of the cakes either before heading off for lunch at the Ace Cafe.


They all looked very pleased about the visit being interesting and informative but I’m sure they would have preferred to be riding their bikes instead. I do hope they can come along again and stay a bit longer and chat some-more. I did learn that the Triumph motorcycles they use are over 14years old and were built specially for the Display Team.

No comments:

Post a Comment